Tuesday, February 28, 2006

coping under a state of emergency

keeping up with news from home, let me tell you that the philippines is under a state of emergency. civil liberties have been suspended, anyone can be jailed for anything, the president is the almighty. like martial law.

i was stunned. for 4 seconds. max.

even friends and classmates here have been asking me about how things are over there. i assured them, these things are as common as dark skies and rain in belgium.

but when you live far from family and friends, you just have to know how they are coping. so i called them up last sunday.

(dialling HOME number; phone ringing)

me: hmmm..

(dialling NANAY's mobile number; phone ringing)

me:
...whatda?!

(dialling TATAY's mobile number; phone ringing)

me:
oh no...

(dialling SISTER's mobile number; phone ringing)

me: huh? where are they?

(dialling BROTHER's mobile number; phone ringing)

me: oh my...

(dialling BROTHER's WIFE's mobile number)

brother's wife: hello? who's this?

me: it's marc! how are you!

brother's wife: i can't hear you well... who's this again?!

me: it's marc! is there anything wrong there? what's the loud noise? is everyone ok?

brother's wife: uy! kmusta?! we're having a PARTY!


see. i need not worry for my family. when civil liberties have been suspended, when anyone can be jailed for anything, when the president is the almighty, my family knows how to handle the stress. they party.

now i know why i am a bit crazy. it's in the genes.



(happy bday lolo jose! i know you're enjoying your own party there in heaven!)


image from AP via bbc.

listening to:
i like you to be still by pablo neruda as read by glenn close

this is marc's version of the truth, sometime at 8:57 AM if you can't live with it, he can.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home