Tuesday, February 15, 2005

the dinner table has turned one tuesday morning

i was chatting with my mother in YM this morning. cool no?

she was updating me of things back home and how everyone is busy preparing for my older brother's wedding. and when you talk about weddings with mothers, my oh my, no details are left undescribed. from her dress to her hair and shoes and even her gift to the couple was amply narrated. i was surprised at my self for keeping up the conversation with her and was never bored nor bothered by her loquaciousness.

until (yes, until) she suddenly poured her heart out about being a mother and how she feels about one son leaving the family to marry. you know how mothers are when someone marries. once they're done with the necessities, they then continue with other mushy things like being not a good mother enough to us (when in fact she is! she is!) and how she has done everything but it seemed never enough. and even about how her offsprings are all hardheaded (i am an example!).

so on this fateful tuesday morning, the dinner table where she and my father used to lecture us about life (but never about the birds and the bees, it was the uncle's role, hehe) has turned. YM provided that. it was my turn at that moment to tell her about life and how to live it.

i told her to continue her passion for cooking and baking. i encouraged her to read good books and to enjoy my father's company by doing something together aside from you-know-what. i told her it is not about her. it is us her children and how we are individually unique (and hardheaded) that made us live life the way we want it. i then sent her kahlil's thoughts on children and parents http://www.columbia.edu/~gm84/gibran4.html

she read it and said thanks from her heart, alternately laughing and having misty-eyes during our short chat.

oh, i miss my nanay and tatay.

have you thought about your parents today?

this is marc's version of the truth, sometime at 11:24 PM if you can't live with it, he can.

1 Comments

  1. Blogger Cecilia posted at 11:33 AM  
    I think about them all.the.time. I miss them so much.

    Sometimes parents learn from their children, too. If you were my child, I'd like to learn from you.

Post a Comment

« Home