Tuesday, June 21, 2005

today is the longest day

summer begins today in the northern hemisphere and it is marked by the summer solstice where the sun is directly overhead the tropic of cancer. it is also the longest day of the year in the sense that the length of time elapsed between sunrise and sunset on this day is a maximum for the year.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

i welcome the summer by spending the whole day with a fellow filipino. we stayed in my room chatting about news from home as well as watching the movie "cutting edge". we left only to have lunch at the nearby school cafteria with other filipino friends. in this side of brussels, spending time with pinoys, a monicker we filipinos give to ourselves, is something i always look forward to for the unbridled laughter. in between, i did my laundry in my usual handwash manner. there is something about today that calls for washing clothes. it must be the heat. however, i am usually like this: i wash my clothes when i am inundated with anxiety. a friend of mine who studied psychology told me once that doing chores like laundering gives one a sense of achievement knowing that something can be accomplished in a short time, and in a way mellows down some of the pangs caused by anxiety. handwashing does that for me.

back to anxiety. i don't know really what has gotten into me lately. my exams are all done with and now i wait for my marks. i believe i have done well and raise my hopes high to just get this school year over and done with. after saying my goodbyes to my visiting friend later in the day, i still had time, so i went to the (in)famous laundromat that i usually go to wash my thick clothes and linens. there, while waiting for my laundry to dry, i psyched myself up: what am i anxious about?

could be the waiting, one for my marks, the other for something coming up as the weekend approaches. and another is a promised phone call.

today is the longest day of the year. it could even be the longest one in my life. in a bittersweet wish, i hope the sun sets soon. but then again, a little voice is whispering in my heart saying not yet until i get that call.



relaxing to: huwag na lang kaya by true faith
state of mind: crazier by the minute

this is marc's version of the truth, sometime at 7:35 PM if you can't live with it, he can.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home